Topics

Fox Hunt Results - Saturday 7/20 #foxhunt

Andrew Koenig

I picked up the fox earlier this evening. Everything was still in place, but the battery had too little charge to allow the transmitter to run. It was measuring 6.36v.

In first place at 13:41 Saturday is KC5PWN and WA5TET, Debbie and David. Congrats guys! Next on the log at 19:24 was KG5RQZ and N5UH, Billy and Phil. Joe KI5O took the late night shift and found it at 02:08, and finally John AF5MN, Hal N5BT, Patty, Allie, and Chip found it at 11:30 this morning. An honorable mention also goes to Doug KD5OUG. I'm glad to see such a large crowd on the log.

The fox was hidden near the RaceTrac at Shiloh & Renner, over near the panhandle of Richardson. It was hanging off the back of a barrier.

One suggestion I have that may help you get in the vicinity of the fox is to print out the USNG map that Doug uploaded earlier today, pick a few grid squares on the map that are not near eachother, make measurements at those locations (direction and signal strength), and see if that adds clarity about the general vicinity of the fox. Having it drawn out on paper can be a lot more helpful than making mental notes of vectors. In addition, if you are teaming up to find the fox, maybe make a measurement before you leave home and compare notes with your teammates when y'all meet up.

Do y'all have any requests for me before I place it again next weekend?

73 de KE5GDB

--
Andrew Koenig

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

Thanks Andrew. That was fun and I/we learned quit a bit. I won't be able to participate next weekend. So good luck to all who participate next weekend. 73.

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 22:12, Andrew Koenig
<ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

John Di Filippo

Andrew,
Technically, you hid the fox in Plano, not Richardson.
That made it harder to find :)

Inline image

John
=========================

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 10:12:42 PM CDT, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

Andrew,

Thanks for setting the fox again this weekend.  It was a great time for sure!  I spent most of my time on the other side of the tollway because I was convinced in my mind that the border of the city ended there.  Kept pointing toward the hospital, but kept pacing back and forth at the opposite corner of the street.  I'm sure the gas station owners thought I was crazy poking around at 1am on a saturday night.  Looking forward to working it again with the help of Doug's map!  Thanks for uploading it!!!!

Hope all of you have a great week, and look forward to the next hunt.

Joe
KI5O

Danny K5CG

Next time tell him you're divining for water.

Thanks for setting the fox again this weekend.  It was a great time for sure!  I spent most of my time on the other side of the tollway because I was convinced in my mind that the border of the city ended there.  Kept pointing toward the hospital, but kept pacing back and forth at the opposite corner of the street.  I'm sure the gas station owners thought I was crazy poking around at 1am on a saturday night.  Looking forward to working it again with the help of Doug's map!  Thanks for uploading it!!!!

Hope all of you have a great week, and look forward to the next hunt.

Joe
KI5O

Philip Cook <n5uh@...>

Andrew,

All three hunts now have had the fox out in the open.  I’d like to request you keep it that way for at least 2 - 3 more hunts and no band pass filter(s).

Also, I would like to take sign ups from people who want to team up with me (the more the merrier) and we can learn from each other and be working in multiple cars working multiple grids and see if we can’t learn from each other.  Once you’re successful working it in a group it’ll be easier working it on your own.

 73,

Philip Cook - N5UH

On Jul 21, 2019, at 10:12 PM, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

[...]

H.Wolff <h.wolff@...>

Andrew,

I very much enjoyed the fox hunt on Saturday.  This was my first hunt and I must say it was challenging. I was wondering if the time that the transmitter is on could be increased a little and/or reduce the wait time from three minutes? This would allow us to move on quicker.

Thanks for setting this up and for all you do for the Klub.

73’
Hal, N5BT

Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 10:12 PM
Subject: [k5rwk] Fox Hunt Results - Saturday 7/20 #foxhunt

[...]

HAHAHA!!!!  Panning for gold

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:42 AM Danny K5CG <k5cg@...> wrote:
Next time tell him you're divining for water.

Thanks for setting the fox again this weekend.  It was a great time for sure!  I spent most of my time on the other side of the tollway because I was convinced in my mind that the border of the city ended there.  Kept pointing toward the hospital, but kept pacing back and forth at the opposite corner of the street.  I'm sure the gas station owners thought I was crazy poking around at 1am on a saturday night.  Looking forward to working it again with the help of Doug's map!  Thanks for uploading it!!!!

Hope all of you have a great week, and look forward to the next hunt.

Joe
KI5O

Timothy L. Bratton

Paige and I had dinner with N9MI, H.B., at his place near Leesburg in East TX. He seems to be doing fine, and says Hello to RWK members.

He has a double-bazooka antenna, and reports enviable noise levels. He said his noise on 75m was 40 over S9 at his place in west Richardson, but is typically S7 now, and sometimes S3-S5.
makes me think about moving.

73,

--Tim K5RA