Topics

Fox Hunt - Saturday 7/27 @ 8:00AM - 144.5MHz #foxhunt

Andrew Koenig

It's time for round three!

If you're new to Fox Hunting and want to tag along with someone, keep an eye out for an email from Phil N5UH. He will be organizing a "search party" tomorrow morning.

Information for Saturday 7/27:

Time: 8:00AM until battery dies -- should last through lunch on Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts (or whatever "LOW" is on this particular Yaesu FT-212RH).
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

Thanks Andrew!!!!

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 7:44 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
It's time for round three!

If you're new to Fox Hunting and want to tag along with someone, keep an eye out for an email from Phil N5UH. He will be organizing a "search party" tomorrow morning.

Information for Saturday 7/27:

Time: 8:00AM until battery dies -- should last through lunch on Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts (or whatever "LOW" is on this particular Yaesu FT-212RH).
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

Philip Cook <n5uh@...>

Realistically is a constraint that it is not inside a building?  Is it not in a restricted area?  Is it not on someone’s residential property?  Is it not somewhere we can’t park (UTD)?  Are these just common sense things?

 73,

Philip Cook - N5UH
n5uh@...
(209) 923-2481 mobile

;

On Jul 26, 2019, at 7:44 AM, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

It's time for round three!

If you're new to Fox Hunting and want to tag along with someone, keep an eye out for an email from Phil N5UH. He will be organizing a "search party" tomorrow morning.

Information for Saturday 7/27:

Time: 8:00AM until battery dies -- should last through lunch on Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts (or whatever "LOW" is on this particular Yaesu FT-212RH).
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

Andrew Koenig

It won't be inside a building, it won't be in a restricted area (you're not gonna have to hop a fence, but city property is fair game), and it won't be in residential property.

I reserve the right to place it at UTD though. Green parking spots are all open on weekends. Just keep moving and they won't give you a parking ticket, right?

73 de KE5GDB

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 9:09 AM Philip Cook <n5uh@...> wrote:
[...]

My goal is to keep it on par with the previous two. I'll let y'all know before I bump it up a notch.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 10:08 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

C Solomon W5SU

I, for one, haven't tried it before and may take a shot at it.  Those who've gone thru the exercise may be ready for something more challenging (as Phil suggested by keeping the fox out of site).

I recommend that, at least for the next several hunts, it be kept simple.

73!
Carl - W5SU

On Friday, July 26, 2019, 02:44:19 PM GMT+2, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

It's time for round three!

If you're new to Fox Hunting and want to tag along with someone, keep an eye out for an email from Phil N5UH. He will be organizing a "search party" tomorrow morning.

Information for Saturday 7/27:

Time: 8:00AM until battery dies -- should last through lunch on Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts (or whatever "LOW" is on this particular Yaesu FT-212RH).
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

Philip Cook <ka5gkl@...>

Good to know about parking at UTD.  I’d say fair at UTD knowing that.

 73,

Philip Cook - N5UH
n5uh@...
(209) 923-2481 mobile

;

On Jul 26, 2019, at 10:08 AM, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a "stage 2" fox where you get the signal frequency of a more difficult fox after finding the first???  Agree with keeping it consistent for first timers.  I suspect every week we will be picking up more hams that are participating in the activity for the first time.

73 Joe KI5O

Andrew Koenig

Joe let's not spoil things for tomorrow's hunt.

73 de KE5GDB

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 11:45 AM Joe Hodgkins KI5O <ki5ojoe@...> wrote:
Perhaps a "stage 2" fox where you get the signal frequency of a more difficult fox after finding the first???  Agree with keeping it consistent for first timers.  I suspect every week we will be picking up more hams that are participating in the activity for the first time.

73 Joe KI5O

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

HA!!!!  Lucky guess I suppose.  Have a good day!

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 12:05 PM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
Joe let's not spoil things for tomorrow's hunt.

73 de KE5GDB

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 11:45 AM Joe Hodgkins KI5O <ki5ojoe@...> wrote:
Perhaps a "stage 2" fox where you get the signal frequency of a more difficult fox after finding the first???  Agree with keeping it consistent for first timers.  I suspect every week we will be picking up more hams that are participating in the activity for the first time.

73 Joe KI5O

Andrew Koenig

It's alive!

Be sure you read the second sticker on the box. You wouldn't want to miss out on half the fun.

73 de KE5GDB

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019, 7:44 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
It's time for round three!

If you're new to Fox Hunting and want to tag along with someone, keep an eye out for an email from Phil N5UH. He will be organizing a "search party" tomorrow morning.

Information for Saturday 7/27:

Time: 8:00AM until battery dies -- should last through lunch on Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts (or whatever "LOW" is on this particular Yaesu FT-212RH).
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

Ken Noblitt - N5UA

That was both fun and hilarious  Andrew!

73 de N5UA Ken

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, 9:12 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

Andrew,

Thanks again for such a well planned and implemented hunt this past weekend.  Appreciate your efforts to make RWK a great group to be with!

Joe KI5O

Michael WT9V

Agreed!

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 3:14 PM Joe Hodgkins KI5O <ki5ojoe@...> wrote:
Andrew,

Thanks again for such a well planned and implemented hunt this past weekend.  Appreciate your efforts to make RWK a great group to be with!

Joe KI5O

John Slaughter

I looked, but without a good attenuator I was not able to find the fox.  I had a homemade one but could not find it!   Can you pass on the actual location so I can determine how close I got.  My offset attenuator is coming in the mail!  Hope to have it for the next opportunity.  The antenna I cobbled together Friday night seems to have a good null, so that was a success.  Lots of fun.

John
WB5HSI

Andrew Koenig

I'll send out a write up later tonight. I have pics and stuff of the hiding spots, and I'll include the names on the log.

73 de KE5GDB

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 3:47 PM John Slaughter <john.e.slaughter@...> wrote:
I looked, but without a good attenuator I was not able to find the fox.  I had a homemade one but could not find it!   Can you pass on the actual location so I can determine how close I got.  My offset attenuator is coming in the mail!  Hope to have it for the next opportunity.  The antenna I cobbled together Friday night seems to have a good null, so that was a success.  Lots of fun.

John
WB5HSI

Adam - K5KZK

Edited

I actually made it out this time!  Thanks to WT9V for the link to the antenna plans and reports that he could hear it in Plano, I think I got close to it, but it looks like I'm also going to need to make an offset attenuator.  In the moment when I thought I was close, it didn't dawn on me to partially unscrew the antenna...

Ken Noblitt - N5UA

Again this weekend?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 4:43 PM <dfwdavis@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I actually made it out this time!  Thanks to WT9V for the link to the antenna plans and reports that he could hear it in Plano, I think I got close to it, but it looks like I'm also going to need to make an offset attenuator.  In the moment when I thought I was close, it didn't dawn on me to partially unscrew the antenna...

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

John, dfwdavis(sorry no name in email),
 You should try using the 3rd harmonic of the fox frequency. If you use the 3rd harmonic, it will really tell you if you are close. My experience, you have to be within a 100yds for you radio/antenna to pick it up, and it is highly directional. Just a thought, and that's free! I found the fox this weekend in 45mins. Only took 3 readings, and I was on top of it. Hope this helps. 73.

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 17:05, Ken Noblitt - N5UA
<bluecore6@...> wrote:
Again this weekend?

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019, 4:43 PM <dfwdavis@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I actually made it out this time!  Thanks to WT9V for the link to the antenna plans and reports that he could hear it in Plano, I think I got close to it, but it looks like I'm also going to need to make an offset attenuator.  In the moment when I thought I was close, it didn't dawn on me to partially unscrew the antenna...

John Slaughter

That would work if one had a receiver for that frequency.   I

John

WB5HSI