Topics

Fox Hunt - Saturday 8/3 & Sunday 8/4 @ 8:00AM - 144.5MHz #foxhunt

Andrew Koenig

It's time for round four!

Information for weekend of Saturday 8/3:

Time: Sat 8:00AM until battery dies -- last weekend it was alive until 9:00PM Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

What if fox #1 has a frequency for fox #2 written on the box?!

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

--
Andrew Koenig

Philip Cook <n5uh@...>

If you are interested in being part of a team, Team Koala, let me know.  Right now the team consists of Berl Driskill and myself.  Berl’s out tomorrow so if no one else signs up the team won’t hunt.  But if you want to hunt and you don’t have experience or you just want the camaraderie, let me know and we’ll work together from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM whether we’ve found it or not.

At full strength here’s how the team works:

Global Navigator - scans the city/county/whatever and triangulates with the vectors with a magnetic loop antenna to send the others into the general area.  Berl does this.

Grid Surveyor - obtains s-meter readings and “hottest” direction notation for assigned 1K USNG grids within the general search area identified by the Global Navigator.

Hunter/Killer - sweeps target grid for the third harmonic, the fox using 2 meters, or the fox using visual inspection.

Grid Surveyors need a USNG 1K map here:
image1.png

Email me for further details if interested.

On Aug 2, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

It's time for round four!

Information for weekend of Saturday 8/3:

Time: Sat 8:00AM until battery dies -- last weekend it was alive until 9:00PM Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

What if fox #1 has a frequency for fox #2 written on the box?!

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

--
Andrew Koenig

John Slaughter

I can’t go out in the morning, but will be looking in the afternoon.   Got my https://kc9on.com offset attenuator put together yesterday and it seems work well.   Happy to collaborate with someone.

John

WB5HSI

[...]

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

Thank you Andrew!!!  Looking forward to it.

I won't get out until Saturday night, but it looks like there may be some thunderstorms.  Hoping the weather holds out!

Andrew Koenig

It's alive, and dry!

Similar to the other hiding spots, today's location can be seen from the street if you know exactly where to look.

Good luck!

73 de KE5GDB

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 8:20 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
It's time for round four!

Information for weekend of Saturday 8/3:

Time: Sat 8:00AM until battery dies -- last weekend it was alive until 9:00PM Sunday
Frequency: 144.5MHz
Transmitter Power: 5 watts
Constraints: Within the City of Richardson

What if fox #1 has a frequency for fox #2 written on the box?!

I'll have a log sheet with the fox so you can record what time you found it and your callsign.

Happy hunting!

73 de KE5GDB

(PS: Feel free to pass this along to other area clubs)

--
Andrew Koenig

Philip Cook <n5uh@...>

I was ready to go at 8 but then I looked outside.  As a trained storm spotter I know that if you go out in the rain you can get wet!  I’m going to wait for it to clear.  I was expecting you to do the same, kudos to you for braving the wx.

 73,

Philip Cook - N5UH
n5uh@...
(209) 923-2481 mobile

;

On Aug 3, 2019, at 8:58 AM, Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:

[...]

All,

Team Koala, at 2/3 strength today, was successful in finding fox #1 (with a hint from a competing team) but was called off duty by spouses at 6:30 PM from hunting the maddeningly hidden fox #2.  Our understanding is fox #2 is putting out only 1 watt and our s-meters were pegged in every direction in the parking lots we were searching in but we never could find a 3rd harmonic signal and our efforts at all other attenuation failed.  On 2-meters, the s-meter was also fully S9 when tuned up or down 15 kHz!  We were right on top of it but it’s a needle in a haystack!

Come join Team Koala some time just for fun.

 73,

Philip Cook - N5UH
n5uh@...
(209) 923-2481 mobile

;

On Aug 2, 2019, at 12:33 PM, Philip Cook <n5uh@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the report from Team Koala!

Fox #2 has a questionable battery situation and is not guaranteed to run until tomorrow evening. It can be heard from the location of Fox #1, so check to make sure it's still alive before embarking on that mission.

73 de KE5GDB