Topics

KerberosSDR #foxhunt #ksdr

SUPERALPHA

Who has setup a synchronous SDR with RPi and tracking app on Android?  I have everything except the antennas and am working on loading it all up.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike McCafferty
N5MMC

Danny K5CG

Hi Mike,

I've not had good luck with the android app but the compass works well. I've used it for all the fox hunts I've participated in.

I'm doing a presentation on it for the November "Show & Tell". Be there or be square!

I think the Android app works best with continuous carriers, not intermittent signals like repeaters or foxes.

Andrew and I were the only KSDR owners I was aware of so adding you makes three!

Danny
K5CG

SUPERALPHA

Would you like to come over and help me work on this?  I was thinking an array of rubber ducks or something...
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Danny K5CG

Sure! How is the weekend looking?

In the meantime grab 4 mini magmount antennas

Help the RWK when you shop at Amazon with Smile! Register here  https://smile.amazon.com/ch/75-1575597
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/75-1575597
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/75-1575597

Would you like to come over and help me work on this?  I was thinking an array of rubber ducks or something...
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

John Di Filippo

Guys,
I'm sure others in the RWK would be interested in this project so please consider documenting what you're doing (text/photos) and publish in the Chawed Rag or on our website.

Thanks,
John, AF5MN
=====================

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/ksdr/

--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

SUPERALPHA

I have my kids but usually I am free...  We can play it by ear or wait until next weekend.
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

SUPERALPHA

Thanks to Danny, K5CG, for helping to get this ksdr up and running.  It is working great.  The unit stays on the car at highway+++ speeds.

--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Vania, Gi

Nice!

Thanks to Danny, K5CG, for helping to get this ksdr up and running.  It is working great.  The unit stays on the car at highway+++ speeds.

--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Willie - N8WP

Hi,

I am thinking about getting the same equipment. It looks good. I am thinking about 3D printing a holder to make a mobile adcock antenna that has 4 vertical dipoles. I was also working on designing a doppler rdf which uses a RTL-SDR. I bought one, I just need to devise an antenna switching circuit and some software. I am very interested in learning more about the doppler shifts and perhaps use a Raspberry Pi with the single RTL-SDR. I know I can write the software, I just need to do a lot of research on the algorithms.

Willie
N8WP

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:44 PM SUPERALPHA <mike.a.mccafferty@...> wrote:
Who has setup a synchronous SDR with RPi and tracking app on Android?  I have everything except the antennas and am working on loading it all up.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Mike McCafferty
N5MMC

--
Willie Peloquin
N8WP

Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation.

SUPERALPHA

Note, the antenna array shown above is for 70cm band. It has an inverted airfoil like a spoiler to keep it on the car at high speeds.

I am designing a new version that can extend easily for 2m operation.
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Willie - N8WP

I know. I started looking at the RTL-SDR, it is a single SDR radio. The antenna switching is required. It is also about $25. I later learned about the Kerberos, which contains 4 RTL-SRDs.

Willie

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 22:10 Danny K5CG via Groups.Io <k5cg=hamoperator.org@groups.io> wrote:
Willie, the KerberosSDR system is not doppler RDF. It is 4 - RTL-SDR receviers sharing a common clock with sync'd I/Q (coherent) and it compares the phase of the I/Q output to determine the direction of arrival. It's a cut above traditional doppler RDF because it doesn't need to switch/rotate the antennas to create the psuedo-doppler effect. You then also don't have to filter out the antenna switching frequency from the audio.

Danny

[...]

Like a Formula 1/Indy car wing. It's all about the down force!

Note, the antenna array shown above is for 70cm band. It has an inverted airfoil like a spoiler to keep it on the car at high speeds.

I am designing a new version that can extend easily for 2m operation.
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Willie - N8WP

Is it 3D printed?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 02:47 SUPERALPHA <mike.a.mccafferty@...> wrote:
Note, the antenna array shown above is for 70cm band. It has an inverted airfoil like a spoiler to keep it on the car at high speeds.

I am designing a new version that can extend easily for 2m operation.
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

SUPERALPHA

Yes
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

Willie - N8WP

I have been thinking about 3D printing the parts necessary for an adcock antenna for 2M. I want to use it outside of my truck.

Willie

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 3:38 AM SUPERALPHA <mike.a.mccafferty@...> wrote:
Yes
--

Mike McCafferty, P.E.
N5MMC

--
Willie Peloquin
N8WP

Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation.

Eric KD7CAO

I purchased two of these units. Just joined your group here as a member forwarded this thread to me. I too am working on antennas for the KSDR. My current goal is to go with VHF Vertical Dipole antennas. Alternatively 1/2 wavelength Marine antennas. Never had good results with the ground plane antennas (mag mounts or the boards in Ramsey Kit). Eric KD7CAO

Michael WT9V

We only have a few folks with the Kerberos SDR units so far, but the number is growing.

Michael, WT9V
On 2/23/20 7:41 PM, Eric KD7CAO wrote:

I purchased two of these units. Just joined your group here as a member forwarded this thread to me. I too am working on antennas for the KSDR. My current goal is to go with VHF Vertical Dipole antennas. Alternatively 1/2 wavelength Marine antennas. Never had good results with the ground plane antennas (mag mounts or the boards in Ramsey Kit). Eric KD7CAO

Danny K5CG

Hi Eric,

I did a presentation at the RWK November meeting about this. It was based on v1.4 software so it's not up to date. And the Raspberry Pi 4 works better than the 3B+.

https://nextcloud.qloudit.com:1443/s/3EgkxHCAQsxsK2d?path=%2F2019%2FNov%2011%20Show%20%27n%20Tell#pdfviewer

The dual band mag-mounts work really well on 2m at 50cm spacing.

Welcome to the Klub as well. I'll be processing your application momentarily.

Danny
K5CG

SUPERALPHA

Related link: