You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

Timothy L. Bratton

Assuming we are not using an ATV, right? -- Tim

On 2019-11-16 10:03, Danny K5CG via Groups.Io wrote:
Oops! In full disclosure...
After double checking the map, the fox is not physically located inside City limits but it is accessible only from a road that is inside City limits.
You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

Danny K5CG

You can drive right up to it (pavement).

On 2019-11-16 10:03, Danny K5CG via Groups.Io wrote:
Oops! In full disclosure...

After double checking the map, the fox is not physically located inside
City limits but it is accessible only from a road that is inside City
limits.

You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

John Smyder - W5JWS

Getting reports from a friend that there are some unusual messages coming from the fox this weekend. There are three different messages, two in a man and womans voice and another in a Hawkings type voice and they don't ID each time.

Is that to be expected.

--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Michael WT9V

Legally, they only have to ID every 10 minutes.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 10:31 AM John Smyder - W5JWS <w5jws@...> wrote:
Getting reports from a friend that there are some unusual messages coming from the fox this weekend. There are three different messages, two in a man and womans voice and another in a Hawkings type voice and they don't ID each time.

Is that to be expected.

--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

John Smyder - W5JWS

Agreed. Best practice is that if this is the end of a "conversation" to identify. Was just curious since my friend W5INF was asking me about this (he hasn't signed on to groups.io yet).
--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Danny K5CG

There are four sound files that play randomly on a 3 minute cycle.

The Morse ID plays at the end of a voice file but only AFTER a 10 minute ID timer expires. Worst case it could ID at 10 minutes + 30 seconds (the approximate length of the voice files) or thereabouts.

Legally, they only have to ID every 10 minutes.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 10:31 AM John Smyder - W5JWS <w5jws@...> wrote:
Getting reports from a friend that there are some unusual messages coming from the fox this weekend. There are three different messages, two in a man and womans voice and another in a Hawkings type voice and they don't ID each time.

Is that to be expected.

--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Michael WT9V

But, it's not a conversation, it's an announcement, and many of the announcements on repeaters don't ID the repeater... At least not directly.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 11:17 AM John Smyder - W5JWS <w5jws@...> wrote:
Agreed. Best practice is that if this is the end of a "conversation" to identify. Was just curious since my friend W5INF was asking me about this (he hasn't signed on to groups.io yet).
--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Danny K5CG

If you have a real situation where you need to track down interference or an intentional offender (the reason we're practicing this in the first place) there's not likely going to be any identification.

The legal minimum is the standard we need to satisfy and I designed it this way to minimize transmission time to save battery power. Sending the ID at the end of every voice file wastes 15 seconds of unnecessary transmit power every 9 minutes.

But, it's not a conversation, it's an announcement, and many of the announcements on repeaters don't ID the repeater... At least not directly.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 11:17 AM John Smyder - W5JWS <w5jws@...> wrote:
Agreed. Best practice is that if this is the end of a "conversation" to identify. Was just curious since my friend W5INF was asking me about this (he hasn't signed on to groups.io yet).
--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Michael WT9V

In all fairness, it *would* make it easier to track down if it sent it's station ID, Geo coords, and preferably cross street... *Lol*

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM, John Smyder - W5JWS wrote:
my friend W5INF was asking me about this (he hasn't signed on to groups.io yet).
I just don't know what to say about that. SMH

What is he waiting for?

Danny K5CG

To John's point...

97.119 Station identification.

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication

I think it's overkill but what I think doesn't really matter. I'll add the ID to the end of each voice transmission once I have it back from this weekend's activity.

But, it's not a conversation, it's an announcement, and many of the announcements on repeaters don't ID the repeater... At least not directly.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 11:17 AM John Smyder - W5JWS <w5jws@...> wrote:
Agreed. Best practice is that if this is the end of a "conversation" to identify. Was just curious since my friend W5INF was asking me about this (he hasn't signed on to groups.io yet).
--
John W Smyder - W5JWS

Michael WT9V

Well, it's essentially an ongoing communication, so the every 10 minutes and when it's shut down sounds good enough to me...

But, I don't claim to be an expert.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019, 12:19 PM Danny K5CG via Groups.Io <k5cg=hamoperator.org@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John Slaughter

Found it, but I did drive right by and made a big loop and wound up in the same spot.

Thanks for providing the opportunity for a little fun.

John
WB5HSI

On 2019-11-16 10:03, Danny K5CG via Groups.Io wrote:
Oops! In full disclosure...

After double checking the map, the fox is not physically located
inside City limits but it is accessible only from a road that is
inside City limits.

You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

John,
 I'm surprised we didn't bump into each other. I was just to the south at the time you sent the email. I had to go run an errand, but came back and found it at 1745.

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ

On 2019-11-16 10:03, Danny K5CG via Groups.Io wrote:
> Oops! In full disclosure...
>
> After double checking the map, the fox is not physically located
> inside City limits but it is accessible only from a road that is
> inside City limits.
>
> You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

John Slaughter

I sent the email after I got home.  I recall that I was the third one on the list.   Great fun.

On 2019-11-16 10:03, Danny K5CG via Groups.Io wrote:
> Oops! In full disclosure...
>
> After double checking the map, the fox is not physically located
> inside City limits but it is accessible only from a road that is
> inside City limits.
>
> You can't get to the fox from any roads other than those inside Richardson.

Danny K5CG

Successful hunters this past weekend...

KG5YXA David Hartwig
KC5DFC Ian Stubbs