Topics

Who wants to help me make a DMR Fox #foxhunt #dmr

So I have had an idea about making a DMR Fox for the club for a while
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Jay Urish W5GM

Whats the point?

You would still use an analog radio setup to find it. RF is RF. Modulation schema is irrelevant.

On 7/14/20 4:02 PM, Jake W5TXX wrote:
So I have had an idea about making a DMR Fox for the club for a while
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Michael WT9V

It would just be a noise source though.

Michael, WT9V
Director of Information Systems
The Richardson Wireless Klub, k5rwk.org
On 7/14/20 4:16 PM, Jay Urish W5GM wrote:

Whats the point?

You would still use an analog radio setup to find it. RF is RF. Modulation schema is irrelevant.

On 7/14/20 4:02 PM, Jake W5TXX wrote:
So I have had an idea about making a DMR Fox for the club for a while
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Jay Pinkerton - KE5FMS

Bonus points for those with a DMR radio and can supply the message that the DMR Fox would be sending out.  Might encourage more DMR purchases and use of our new DRM Repeater.  Of course anyone with an analog radio could find it, but they could not get the message unless they had DMR.

Or maybe send a text message through DMR that you found it.  I know DMR has that capability but I don't know how to do it yet.

I suggest a monthly drawing for one of those new T-Shirts!  Wooohoooo!!!

Jay Pinkerton
KE5FMS

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM Michael WT9V <wt9v.tx@...> wrote:

It would just be a noise source though.

Michael, WT9V
Director of Information Systems
The Richardson Wireless Klub, k5rwk.org
On 7/14/20 4:16 PM, Jay Urish W5GM wrote:
Whats the point?

You would still use an analog radio setup to find it. RF is RF. Modulation schema is irrelevant.

On 7/14/20 4:02 PM, Jake W5TXX wrote:
So I have had an idea about making a DMR Fox for the club for a while
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Don WS5L

Jake:  Does the UV380 have vox?  If so, all you need is a 4n36 chip and a little effort.  Are you going to be on the lunch zoom tomorrow?  If so, I can explain more.
73
Don WS5L

From: Jake W5TXX <jake@...>
Date: 7/15/20 4:43 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@K5RWK.groups.io

Anyone that has a pi-fox up and running or has knowledge of building a raspberry fox box

What linux OS image are you running on the raspberry pi...
if i used the vox option on the radio couldn't i just use a 3.5mm aux cable to run directly to the radio from the pi to initialize the transmission?

I was able to find a 3.5mm cable that supports the pinout for the mic on the radio and i setup a vox dmr echo test...played some audio from my phone and it works!!!
once i can figure out the playing audio on a timed loop on a pi the DMR FOX will be a go!!