Topics

Who wants to help me make a DMR Fox #foxhunt #dmr

So I have had an idea about making a DMR Fox for the club for a while 
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can 
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Jay Urish W5GM

Whats the point?

You would still use an analog radio setup to find it. RF is RF. Modulation schema is irrelevant.

On 7/14/20 4:02 PM, Jake W5TXX wrote:
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b and a UV380 i am willing to donate to this project along with an ammo can 
I don't know what else i would need.. looking for some direction from anyone that's willing to help.

Michael WT9V

It would just be a noise source though.

Michael, WT9V
Director of Information Systems
The Richardson Wireless Klub, k5rwk.org
On 7/14/20 4:16 PM, Jay Urish W5GM wrote:

Whats the point?

You would still use an analog radio setup to find it. RF is RF. Modulation schema is irrelevant.

Jay Pinkerton - KE5FMS

Bonus points for those with a DMR radio and can supply the message that the DMR Fox would be sending out.  Might encourage more DMR purchases and use of our new DRM Repeater.  Of course anyone with an analog radio could find it, but they could not get the message unless they had DMR. 

Or maybe send a text message through DMR that you found it.  I know DMR has that capability but I don't know how to do it yet. 

I suggest a monthly drawing for one of those new T-Shirts!  Wooohoooo!!!

Jay Pinkerton
KE5FMS

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM Michael WT9V <wt9v.tx@...> wrote:

It would just be a noise source though.

Michael, WT9V
Director of Information Systems
The Richardson Wireless Klub, k5rwk.org
On 7/14/20 4:16 PM, Jay Urish W5GM wrote:
Whats the point?

Don WS5L

Jake:  Does the UV380 have vox?  If so, all you need is a 4n36 chip and a little effort.  Are you going to be on the lunch zoom tomorrow?  If so, I can explain more.
Don WS5L

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/14/20 4:02 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@K5RWK.groups.io
Subject: [k5rwk] Who wants to help me make a DMR Fox #dmr #foxhunt

Don, 
Yes sir vox is an option...  i will try and make the lunch zoom meet tomorrow.

Jay,
Not a bad idea if you can decode the dmr message then bonus maybe 

Anyone that has a pi-fox up and running or has knowledge of building a raspberry fox box

What linux OS image are you running on the raspberry pi... 
if i used the vox option on the radio couldn't i just use a 3.5mm aux cable to run directly to the radio from the pi to initialize the transmission?  

Danny K5CG

Hi Jake,

There are probably lots of ways to do this with a Pi. The regular Raspberry Pi 2/3 and then connect the audio out to the radio. That would work with a vox keyed radio.

Or if you don't mind doing a little PCB construction, you can use a Raspberry Pi Zero (or Zero W even better) for lower lower power consumption (longer battery life).

The downside of the Pi zero road is that there is no audio output circuitry (no 3.5mm audio output). It's not difficult to do and the circuit is readily available if you search for it. This is the route I took and you can see the details here. That is Wheatley.

The OS is plain Jane minimal Raspbian and some python and bash scripts triggered from crontab, not rocket science.

Danny

To: "main" <main@K5RWK.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 4:43:20 PM
Subject: Re: [k5rwk] Who wants to help me make a DMR Fox #dmr #foxhunt
Anyone that has a pi-fox up and running or has knowledge of building a raspberry fox box

if i used the vox option on the radio couldn't i just use a 3.5mm aux cable to run directly to the radio from the pi to initialize the transmission?  

Don WS5L

Jake:  I use Raspian Buster as the OS.  Google "pifox github" for the linux software I use.  I looked at the speaker mike pinouts for the uv380.  Looks like you will use the 3.5 for the input and the 2.5 for ground.  Sorry we were not able to visit more today at lunch.
Don

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/15/20 4:43 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@K5RWK.groups.io
Subject: Re: [k5rwk] Who wants to help me make a DMR Fox #dmr #foxhunt

I was able to find a 3.5mm cable that supports the pinout for the mic on the radio and i setup a vox dmr echo test...played some audio from my phone and it works!!!
once i can figure out the playing audio on a timed loop on a pi the DMR FOX will be a go!!