Topics

Amateur Radio Tower Safety

Philip Cook N5UH

This email was erroneously deleted from groups.io.  It was originally posted by Michael Masterson WT9V.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 3, 2020 at 3:45:28 AM CST
To: "main@k5rwk.groups.io" <main@K5RWK.groups.io>
Subject: [k5rwk] Amateur Radio Tower Safety
Reply-To: main@K5RWK.groups.io

Anybody that even *thinks* about having anything to do with towers, permanent, or temporary, should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IW_oRMzACQ

--
Michael, WT9V

John Slaughter

This is a excellent presentation.  Well researched and great information.   Thanks for posting the link.  Well worth the time to view.  Even if you don't plan to climb or work on a tower, you can have the knowledge to speak up when you see common mistakes about to be made.   The statistics are shocking, there is a big problem.     

Michael

Just to keep the link prominent in the discussion:

The bottom line of the video is that safety with and on towers takes time. time to properly guy them when putting them up and taking them down (temporary guys are the same *quality* as permanent guys, they are just there temporarily), and time to properly affix yourself to the tower if you're climbing it.

Michael, WT9V
On 1/3/20 10:24 AM, John Slaughter wrote:

This is a excellent presentation.  Well researched and great information.   Thanks for posting the link.  Well worth the time to view.  Even if you don't plan to climb or work on a tower, you can have the knowledge to speak up when you see common mistakes about to be made.   The statistics are shocking, there is a big problem.     

Berl Driskill

This subject needs to be kept out there! Just think how many Geezers in our club are getting ready to climb 60 ft towers with out a safety line. It scares me to think about it!
Regards and 73
Berl W5ICX

On Jan 3, 2020, at 12:52 PM, Michael <wt9v.tx@...> wrote:

Just to keep the link prominent in the discussion:

The bottom line of the video is that safety with and on towers takes time. time to properly guy them when putting them up and taking them down (temporary guys are the same *quality* as permanent guys, they are just there temporarily), and time to properly affix yourself to the tower if you're climbing it.

Michael, WT9V
On 1/3/20 10:24 AM, John Slaughter wrote:

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

Well........after watching that, I will probably never put up a tower. The risks far out weigh the benefits. Just my 2 cents. Good video. 73

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ

Michael

Like anything, if you're not careful, you or someone else can get hurt or killed. 

The bits about temporary guying would have prevented most, if not all, of the injuries and deaths with a tower being installed or removed.

I posted it, not to dissuade anyone, just to make sure that we don't lose anybody  :)

Michael, WT9V
On 1/4/20 3:27 PM, Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ via Groups.Io wrote:

Well........after watching that, I will probably never put up a tower. The risks far out weigh the benefits. Just my 2 cents. Good video. 73

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ