Topics

Fox 1 is alive! 144.5MHz, ~50mW

Andrew Koenig

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Danny K5CG

Thanks Andrew. I headed out at 7:45am but didn't get far before sliding around on the ice so I turned around. I know how to drive on it (eh?) but what about the other guy!

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

Thanks Andrew!!!  Found it a little while ago.  Was able to hear it from 3 miles out with the tape measure yagi.  Was about two miles out when I could hear it on the short antenna on the roof of my car.

What a fun hunt!
Joe
KI5O

David Hartwig

Snow Fox!   Took the Yeasu HT to breakfast this morning and picked up a signal on the way.  Later went out on some errands and took a Baofeng UV5R tuned to the 3rd harmonic.  Drove in some circles and the Baofeng picked up the Fox.  Pretty close, was able to eyeball hunt and find it from there.  Just used the stock HT antennas, no Yagi this week.

Found an interesting RF hole...the signal completely dropped out for a few minutes.  Freaked out it might be down a storm drain again and texted Andrew.  Just operator issues on my part!...found it a few minutes later.

The HT's worked well this week.  New dynamics to hunting the lower signal strength.  Lots of fun mixing it up!  Thanks!

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:12 AM Joe Hodgkins KI5O <ki5ojoe@...> wrote:
Thanks Andrew!!!  Found it a little while ago.  Was able to hear it from 3 miles out with the tape measure yagi.  Was about two miles out when I could hear it on the short antenna on the roof of my car.

What a fun hunt!
Joe
KI5O

Ian Stubbs

Heard it from Beltline and 75 on the handy talkie. It was a little elusive as we headed north and could use body shielding on the final approach after we were on foot. Thanks for hiding again this week!

Regards,
Ian Stubbs

On Jan 11, 2020, at 11:53 AM, David Hartwig <kg5yxa@...> wrote:

[...]

Albert Barrios

Ber, Al , Don found the the Fox.

--
Once again I dive into a project without knowing  much about all the specifics. I purchased a kit to make a hot spot DMR, and the kit was not complete, I need a raspberry pi 2 to complete the unit. If anyone knows where I can purchase one besides Microcenter (they are out of them) I would appreciate the information. Also I am not sure if a raspberry pi 3 will work as well. I know they have a faster processor and  they are basically set up the same way. The kit I purchased suggest  a pi 2. I hear a lot of the club members talk about hot spots and I figured a knowledgeable member could help me out.
73 Al

Don WS5L

WS5L found it using my new Kerberos system.

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Andrew Koenig

How do you like that Kerberos? I enjoy mine a lot, but it's almost too easy. Some days I'll revert to tricks with the mobile and my HTs to make it more interesting.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020, 1:57 PM native_texas via Groups.Io <Native_texas=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
WS5L found it using my new Kerberos system.

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Don WS5L

The Kerberos made the hunting more fun.  The challenge of getting the Kerberos built and operating was cool.  The Kerberos saved me gasoline and frustration.  Thanks for putting out the fox.  I really appreciate you guys who put out the foxes.
73,
Don
WS5L

On Saturday, January 11, 2020, 1:57:26 PM CST, native_texas via Groups.Io <native_texas@...> wrote:

WS5L found it using my new Kerberos system.

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Robert Hill

The fox was found by Bob Hill. Great spot Andrew!!!!

Katherine Forson - KT5KMF

Driver and I found the snow fox at 4:30. He spotted it first but made me work to find it. Thanks Andrew for another great hunt!

73
Katherine
KT5KMF

Chip Coker KD4C

Good location for a snow fox!

Chip KD4C

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Ken Noblitt - N5UA

Great hide!

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 10:57 AM Chip Coker KD4C <chip@...> wrote:

Good location for a snow fox!

Chip KD4C

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Ken Noblitt - N5UA

The voltage was down to 5V a couple hours ago.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 12:44 PM Ken Noblitt (N5UA) <bluecore6@...> wrote:
Great hide!

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 10:57 AM Chip Coker KD4C <chip@...> wrote:

Good location for a snow fox!

Chip KD4C

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Andrew Koenig

Is anybody still chasing? Should I plugin a new battery this afternoon?

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 2:11 PM Ken Noblitt - N5UA <bluecore6@...> wrote:
The voltage was down to 5V a couple hours ago.

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 12:44 PM Ken Noblitt (N5UA) <bluecore6@...> wrote:
Great hide!

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 10:57 AM Chip Coker KD4C <chip@...> wrote:

Good location for a snow fox!

Chip KD4C

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

John Slaughter

I just came in and never heard it.

John

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Andrew Koenig

Due to the dead battery I went ahead and picked up the fox. I tried a different charger this time, and I'll probably go back to the old one for next week.

I'll send out the log in a bit.

73 de KE5GDB

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020, 2:53 PM John Slaughter <john.e.slaughter@...> wrote:

I just came in and never heard it.

John

It's out and about! There's a 10dB attenuator between the UV-5R and the antenna, giving us extra low power.

There's no e-Log this week. That SD card took a dump and I reverted to an older version.

Please post here if you find it or if you think you got close.

73 de KE5GDB

Andrew Koenig

Here's the log for this week:

KI5O
KG5YXA
KC5DFC
WS5L
KI5CAD
W5ICX
KI5RLP
N2QIN
KG5WRY
KT5KMF
K5WFR
KD4C
N5UA

Congrats to the 13 people that found it!

73 de KE5GDB