Topics

Tripod or Mast?

Katie Gibson

I will be installing a base at my house (finally).

My new toy is a Yaesu FT-8900. Obviously, as a Tech, I can't transmit on all the bands until I upgrade. I will be getting a 2m/70cm antenna (diamond x300), for now, and one or two more for the remaining bands, later.

Tell me about masts vs tripod, or anything else besides something that requires a concrete foundation. I will need capability to add the other antenna(s), later.

73
Katie Gibson
KF5IAU

Corey Minyard

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 11:22:43AM -0600, Katie Gibson wrote:
I will be installing a base at my house (finally).

My new toy is a Yaesu FT-8900. Obviously, as a Tech, I can't transmit on
all the bands until I upgrade. I will be getting a 2m/70cm antenna (diamond
x300), for now, and one or two more for the remaining bands, later.

Tell me about masts vs tripod, or anything else besides something that
requires a concrete foundation. I will need capability to add the other
antenna(s), later.
I've done some research on this recently.

Your terminology is a bit mixed up. A mast is a pole that you mount an
antenna on. A tripod is something that you mount (generally on your
roof) that you attach a mast to. You almost always have a short mast
with a tripod. A mast can also be ground mounted our mounted to the
side of your house (if you have a two-story generally, with a tall
side).

In general, you don't put two antennas on a mast. You can, but you need
to look at wind loading, and most masts don't have the strength to
support multiple antennas in our environment.

You can increase the wind loading and/or height of a mast with guy
wires. The manufacturer generally will have equations or numbers you
can use to calculate all this.

You can also buy short masts that attach to the side of your house,
like:
https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Adjustable-Attic-Antenna-Mount/dp/B0744DCJVW/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=antenna+mast&qid=1577987732&sr=8-5
These are a little easier to mount than a tripod, though they probably
don't have the wind loading you can get with a tripod.

If you want to mount multiple antennas, you are probably looking at a
tower.

But the big thing is: figure out the wind loading of your antenna(s),
then look at what the mast and mount combination can support, and get
what you need. Plus, these things require periodic inspection and
maintenance to make sure they continue to meet their requirements.

-corey AE5KM

73
Katie Gibson
KF5IAU

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

Katie,
 A tripod is just another means to secure a mast to. They can be permanent or temporary. To really determine where a mast could be mounted, and whether to use a tripod or some other means would probably require a visit to your property. At my house, I have 3 masts that each hold 1 antenna, all separately mounted to my roof. If you have a chimney, it will make for an easy start. Hope this helps. 73.

Billy Parkinson
KG5RQZ

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 11:22, Katie Gibson
<Kf5iau@...> wrote:
I will be installing a base at my house (finally).

My new toy is a Yaesu FT-8900. Obviously, as a Tech, I can't transmit on all the bands until I upgrade. I will be getting a 2m/70cm antenna (diamond x300), for now, and one or two more for the remaining bands, later.

Tell me about masts vs tripod, or anything else besides something that requires a concrete foundation. I will need capability to add the other antenna(s), later.

73
Katie Gibson
KF5IAU

Jon Suehiro NN5T

First, you are planning to operate with FT-8900 from your home QTH --- 29 / 50 / 144 / 440 FM 50Watts.

For 29 and 50, if you are seeking just for the ground wave contact (mobile or repeater), most likely you need the vertical polarization.  29MHz FM DX ?  You can try such the repeater in Puerto Rico.  I don’t know if there is any 50MHz FM repeater active in our area.  As far as I know, 50MHz Sporadic E contact is mostly on SSB and Digital (FT8) until the Solar Cycle is really improved but it may take another 3-4 years.

Are you wishing to access the repeaters in Waco or Tyler?  Or locals like Denton, Fort Worth, Dallas up to Sharman?  Then no need for a large scale antenna.

This is my short dual band vertical on my garage roof.  You can call this Tripod roof tower.  I used Dacron rope (3 directions) to hold.

I have another antenna on the roof.  I used dual band mobile (non-radial), use UHF barrel connector (SO239-SO239) with 50’ of RG-213 to the shack.  Taped to the roof vent pipe coming from the shower with 2’ of PVC pipe just fit to the vertical base.  Because of the non-radial, no need to worry about the radial or ground system.  Antennas are low enough, I don’t have any lightening protection.  If you wish, you can unplug the connector in the shack when the storm can be really sever.

Later, if you want to add 50MHz later, you can change the vertical coverting 50/144/440 triband.

For 29MHz, you can add DIPOLE (Inverted Vee) to this mast later, or utilize full size CB whip (102” long – you see in every hamfest, trim a few inches for 29MHz) with 2 ground radial wires, then mount on top of the fence pole for example.  Mast like TV pushup pole is too much for your operation.

When you want to start HF or 50MHz SSB/CW/Digital, this vertical or whip is small enough, you can make a bland new blue-print all over.

GL de Jon NN5T