Topics

Video Server for Tower Cameras

Andrew Koenig

All,

One of the pending RWK projects is to install some webcams up on our main repeater site, and possibly other RWK sites as well. With other groups, I have already installed several cameras, including at 1500' on the Rosston tower out past Valley View. These are always fun to watch during storms.

Here's a link to the server. It will include the RWK cameras when we get those on the air.

http://apt.koe.ng:7080/
user: rwk
pass: K5RWKK5RWK

The server may be rebooted a few times as I get it into the final location in the rack, but this should be fairly reliable.

Ubiquiti does have an app to view this from your phone, but it's quite buggy and falls into the "use at your own risk" category.

73 de KE5GDB

--
Andrew Koenig

Andrew Damiano

This is really cool! What kind of cameras are you using?

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:42 PM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

These are all the Ubiquiti G3 Flex cameras. $80, POE (both 24v and 802.3ad), and available at microcenter. So far they've been really solid. They're performing a lot better than the Pi cameras I was using before.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 9:23 AM Andrew Damiano <damiano1729@...> wrote:
[...]

Are they exposed to the elements? Have you done anything to protect them from rain / water? The quality looks real good. I am thinking I might mount one on my tower

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 9:52 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

No additional weatherproofing was performed. The Denton cameras have been out for over a year now without any issues. I would just suggest not mounting it upside down.

If you can get a good view of the sky I'd be happy to host it on this server. I just don't want to host people's personal security systems.

73 de KE5GDB

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 10:57 AM Andrew Damiano <damiano1729@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe Hodgkins KI5O

Andrew, I just had a look.  Impressive.

Joe
KI5O

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 11:33 AM Andrew Koenig <ke5gdb@...> wrote:
[...]

Billy Parkinson - KG5RQZ

Andrew,

 That’s cool. I would be interested in how exactly these are hooked up and how they are set up to record. When you get time we can discuss it. Thanks.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

David Cummings-WA5TET

Thanks for sharing Andrew. Veeerry cool.

Jay Urish W5GM

Dang. I think one needs to go on the Grapevine tower.

On 1/7/20 9:52 AM, Andrew Koenig wrote:
[...]

Michael WT9V

Sweet!

Michael, WT9V
On 1/6/20 8:41 PM, Andrew Koenig wrote:

[...]

Ian Stubbs

Good stuff, I really like the Ubiquiti camera software.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:17 PM Michael <wt9v.tx@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Harper

Are the cameras down?

Andrew Koenig

My fiber got chewed by my attic chupacabras (probably squirrels), so the thing has been down for about a week. AT&T fixed it today, so I'll be booting the server up here in a few minutes.

73 de KE5GDB

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 8:30 PM Mark Harper <Mark.harper@...> wrote:
Are the cameras down?

Michael WT9V

No doubt, they were confused by all these commercials tell people to "EAT MORE FIBER"

Michael, WT9V
On 1/21/20 10:27 PM, Andrew Koenig wrote:

My fiber got chewed by my attic chupacabras (probably squirrels), so the thing has been down for about a week. AT&T fixed it today, so I'll be booting the server up here in a few minutes.

73 de KE5GDB

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020, 8:30 PM Mark Harper <Mark.harper@...> wrote:
Are the cameras down?

Philip Cook N5UH

Oh, Michael!  That’s something my dad would say!...got a chuckle though :-)